Parenting is serious work and can be quite challenging, but it can also be downright hilarious at times. In this post, I want to share a few of those chuckles that I’ve accumulated over the years that have kept me entertained and reminded me of the magic of being a child. These relatable stories have come about either from my own little guy, or from children I have had the pleasure of working with over the years. Get ready to have a few good chuckles!
The Bathroom Incident
- My early years class had just finished up their recess and were getting ready for nap-time. I decided to check on the stragglers still in the bathroom. As I looked through the bathroom window, I glimpsed at a scene that still makes me chuckle. Two innocent three-year-olds, a boy and a girl, were standing side-by-side with their pants around their ankles, aiming at mini urinals. At the same moment, they both started peeing! The little girl was completely bewildered as to why her pee wasn’t landing in the urinal like her BFF’s. I had to stifle a laugh when she asked me why her best buddy had a different aim game. Kids say the darnedest things!
Sumo Size Me: My Toddler’s Hilarious Bath Time Observation
- One day, while my toddler son and I were following the Japanese tradition of bathing together, he was staring at me rather intently. Then, out of nowhere, he blurts out in the sweetest, most innocent tone, “Mommy, you kinda look like one of those sumo guys.” Ouch! Needless to say, I immediately started my diet plan. Kids really know how to keep you humble, don’t they?
Shake a Leg, Meg! Watch your words.
- I was leading my early years classroom on a nature walk, and as we were lining up to leave, one little girl was taking an eternity to join the line. So, in a playful tone, I shouted, “Come on, shake a leg, Meg!” Well, let’s just say that little Meg took my advice quite literally. As she hurried over to join the line, she kept stopping to shake one of her legs. I laughed about that for a long time! Lesson learned: be careful of the words you use!
Giggles, Gasps, and Guffaws: The Perils of Riding in the Back of the Bus
- There’s nothing quite like the honesty of little boys. Good friends of ours were returning from a holiday and were being shuttled back to the terminal on a big tour bus. They were seated at the very back, bouncing along some rough sections of road. Suddenly, their little boy looked up at his mom with a big grin and a slightly confused look, and said, “Mommy, that tickled my penis!” Shock and laughter ensued. Ah, the innocence of boys!
The Fart-Lighting Incident: When Things Got a Little Too Hot to Handle
- I’ll never forget the time when I was a tween and went to my friend’s house for a card game with her, her brother, and some other friends. We were having a great time, laughing and squealing, when my friend’s brother decided to show us his new party trick: lighting a fart with a lighter. As you can imagine, we were all eager to see this “cool” trick in action. It took a few attempts, but when he finally succeeded, the flame shot out like a rocket, leaving us all in awe…and in stitches. But that wasn’t even the best part. In the midst of our laughter, we noticed something on his jeans starting to smoke. The poor guy panicked and started jumping around, trying to put out the fire, which only made us laugh even harder. The real twist came when his mom came into the room at that exact moment! Looking back, it was one of those hilarious moments that still brings a smile to my face.
- Our little guy was about 4 when we went camping, and he quickly made friends with a group of other kids. Together they disappeared behind our tent and into the wilderness. For hours, all we heard were war cries and giggles coming from the forest close by. Suddenly, they emerged from the trees like a band of banshees, their faces covered in soot and ash from the old fire pit they had discovered. They proudly showed off their masterpieces, each other’s faces painted with smudges and handprints, barely recognizable. They had the time of their young lives. We couldn’t help but laugh at the sight of those little ones transformed into wild and fearless explorers.
The Time Our Son Got a Police Escort
- On one of our camping trips, we had become good friends with the people who ran the campsite. One morning, our young son decided to go down to the office to visit and play with their dog. A little while later, we were relaxing in the cabin when we saw a police car coming up the road towards us with the lights flashing. My heart skipped a beat as I wondered what could have possibly happened. We could only see the policeman behind the wheel so assumed he was alone. But much to our surprise, we heard a familiar voice over the loudspeaker – it was our little boy’s voice, calling out in a very official and commanding tone, “Kasaryne-san, Kasaryne-san. Police here.” It turned out that this police officer was good friends with the owners of the site and had given our son a ride back to the cabin in the police car, with lights flashing, just to give him a chance to play a trick on his mom. Our son thought it was the funniest thing in the world!
Parenting can be a challenging and rewarding experience, but it can also be downright hilarious. These seven stories that I’ve shared are just a few examples of the amusing and delightful moments that come with raising children. From the innocence of young ones to the humor of tweens, each age has its unique charm. So, the next time you feel overwhelmed by the demands of parenthood, remember to take a step back and appreciate the funny moments. You might be surprised at how much laughter can ease the burden of parenting and bring joy to your family.
You can learn more about my own parenting journey here.
And for some good laughs look into Steve Harvey as he interviews kids.